Under the sun

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Yet Another Deepavali

For me of late, Deepavali is more of a cultural event than a religious one just like Christmas or Ramzan, and this is a phenomenon unique to India. Been missing out on the crackers thing more out of laziness than the lack of interest in it. There's a child in everyone of us and the spoilt little brat is alive and kicking in me. However, no crackers this time around too, for the same reason. Usually, the food and the TV programmes make up for it. Though the food part was taken care of this year, the latter was a big let down. I suffered from a severe case of Vijay-sickness, caused by an OD of Vijay's image-boosting rubbish shown on every channel from Sun TV to SS Music. This, even considering that i managed to change the channel as soon as Ilayathalavali and his fans' faces were shown. Every Diwali has its share of stars' films hitting the silver screen but this year i can't understand the deluge of Vijay mania. On a lesser scale, we had a procession of Chiyaan's chair-turning interviews and fan-calls. The only interviews i could bear to watch were of Surya and even in the few minutes of the interviews i watched, he mentioned Kamal Haasan more than once, and importantly, not just in the diplomatic way, as other actors do.

Just when i was into Ilaiyaraaja's concert on TV, i was invited for lunch at my relative's place as it was my cousin's thalai-Deepavali. My folks had promised my uncle that i would be having lunch with them when i was not there. Thank god it was just a lunch and not any commitment about my marriage!
If missing the concert for the 10 minutes of lunch was not enough, my cousin's family were so engrossed in watching Padayappa, that no conversation existed, and needless to say, for all it mattered, my presence or absence wouldn't have mattered till the ad-break came. My inconspicuous presence was actually to my advantage. However, Padayappa [poor Sivaji Ganesan!] was driving me nuts. Imagine, choosing Padayappa over Ilaiyaraaja's concert with Kamal Sir present. That, for me, was The Ultimate. Not having even an iota of diplomatic pleasantness in me, i was afraid i would exhibit the displeasure at being insulted in this manner till an idea struck me. I messaged a friend to call me in exactly 3 minutes, and started downing my lunch as though i hadn't tasted food for a week. The 3 minutes were critical because not only was Kamal Sir scheduled to make his entry in the concert and sitting through Padayappa at such a juncture was the ultimate insult, but also that i had to avoid the "scene" i would create were i to finish my lunch, was my hands and leave right away. Thankfully, the plan worked to perfection. The call came just when i washed my hands, and i was speaking as though it was an important official call and the signal was not clear inside the house. Not only did i manage a "graceful exit" [in geek-speak], i also managed not to miss thalaivar on TV. Sometimes you need all the luck to counter your Murphian bad luck!

9 Comments:

  • Hmmm good to see that a lunch did not spoil IR's concert&Kamal :)

    BTW,what is this thing about 'Padayappa'?ppl have seen it 'n'number of times on TV but still don't have enough of it missing out a wonderful concert.I am referring to not your uncle but my uncle in chennai who did the same thing.:)

    When I asked him the reason he says the concert will get repeated&he will catch up on that later.This after already having watched the film once on the big screen&once on TV.Gosh!

    If I had to choose between Nayagan&IR's concert I would have chosen the latter.

    Any idea on the TRP's,looks like Rajni downed IR by quite a distance :(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Nov 03, 11:21:00 AM  

  • Cinefan,
    True... :(
    In my family [apart from my brother who is an KH/RK fan 50/50], i'm the odd man out......I'm trying to "convert" as many family members and friends as possible :)

    By Blogger Bala (Karthik), at Thu Nov 03, 07:04:00 PM  

  • 'Thank god it was just a lunch and not any commitment about my marriage' :).

    Hahaha so this bakra will be cut soon.

    By Blogger jack, at Sat Nov 05, 01:32:00 AM  

  • sen,
    Vidhippadi pogattum!

    By Blogger Bala (Karthik), at Sat Nov 05, 05:59:00 PM  

  • appo marriage news comin soona??good good

    By Blogger ada-paavi!!!!, at Sat Nov 05, 07:41:00 PM  

  • did u hear AOKK music?? the item number is such a catchy tune and anda naal gnayabagam is wonderful.
    sorry for digression

    By Blogger ada-paavi!!!!, at Sat Nov 05, 07:42:00 PM  

  • vatsan,
    :)
    Puli varudhu puli vardhu kadhai dhaan ma!

    Haven't watched AOKK.. will be doing it this week.... How abt u?

    By Blogger Bala (Karthik), at Mon Nov 07, 01:44:00 PM  

  • AA,
    Sify says apart from 'Sivakasi'which is superhit despite unprecedented rains all other films are wash-out's.It says Maja is sliding,Perusu is a flop&the collections of AOKK is so bad that it's embarassing to give out the figures.

    BTW for some strange reason Sify is boycotting 'Bambara Kannale'.It's as if a film like that has not been released at all.
    Anyway I say a few scenes from the film&Srikanth looked artificial to the core.But it seems to be a hit.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Nov 07, 03:53:00 PM  

  • Cinefan,
    Talking about boycotting movies, i have boycotted sify quite some while back...

    Sivakasi: One of my friend said after watching the movie(?) "Thirupachi"-a thiruppi potta Sivakasi!

    And if you think Vijay has a following amongst only B and C people, here is something: http://sudhishkamath.blogspot.com/2005/11/sivakasi-here-comes-prince.html

    By Blogger Bala (Karthik), at Mon Nov 07, 05:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home