Under the sun

Monday, July 25, 2005

I'm just a man imperfect lowly

I'm just a man imperfect lowly
How can i review something holy


Well, i can't. I mean, you just can't review works like Ilaiyaraaja's Thiruvasagam. You just listen, be taken to a different plane of musical bliss and be humbled in the process. No reviews please, thank you. I haven't read a single "review" on TIS till date, nor do i intend reading one.
I've been consumed by the music for a few days now. What's with the people north of the Vindhyas? Are their tastes so impaired by mediocrity? Or has their notorious intolerance peaked to higher levels?
Forget our Northern brethren, what about our Brahmin brothers in Chennai? What about orthodoxy and the violin vidhwans? TIS is selling like hot cakes alright but that's not what i meant. I regret giving away a few CD's to some friends and relatives - gnana soonyams.
The first time when i listened to Polla vinayen was the only occassion where i could successfully fight my tears. Every other occassion, i'm being barely able to speak after The Experience.
Its not religion or devotion that moves me. Rather, its Ilayaan's devotion and the sheer musical power which does. Of course it had to be Sudha Dhanyasi for the Thumbi song..... you had to get that elevated feeling with all the Budapest violins playing SD. How more poignant can you get than Shanmugapriya when Polla Vinayen ends with "Namachivaya vaazhga, naadhan thal vaazhga" even as the Hungarian choir is singing "Hail hail: Joyous hail" in Shanmugapriya!
The sheer simpicity of the last number...........

If TIS doesn't move you, you are not good enough for Ilaiyaraaja.

Ilayaan isakkurugaar edharkkum urugaar

3 Comments:

  • Hi Bala,

    You seem to be a IR freak man!

    Yes, TiO is awesome to listen to. But I think except for 'Polla vinayen' all others are like any other master pieces from IR. I was expecting something which he himself had never done , but that was not to be.All said, TiO is a work to be cherished.The way 'Polla vinayen' culminates is brilliant.

    By Blogger Prabhu S, at Mon Jul 25, 06:27:00 PM  

  • Prabhu,
    IR freak, I am!
    One thing you might not find in the other songs of TIS is a "totally new" sound, if you know what i mean. IR has favored aptness over novelty. One does get the feeling that the music between verses in a couple of songs could have included a bit of variety. True, but perhaps IR will better that aspect in his next work :-)

    By Blogger Bala (Karthik), at Mon Jul 25, 06:58:00 PM  

  • Hey,

    Just happened to read this post. Even as I write this comment, I'm listening to "Polla Vinayen".

    I'm one your "brahmin" friends ;) But let's leave those things alone.

    Just this number alone makes me forget everything and takes me to a heavenly blissful experience - ideally wishing my soul depart when I listen this number.

    Thanks for your post.

    - Mouli

    By Blogger Mouli, at Fri Apr 03, 07:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home